One of the oldest teeth cleaning techniques is oil pulling. It has been used for centuries as a natural treatment for teeth cleaning and whitening as well as for promoting gum health and removing the harmful bacteria from the mouth cavity.
Oil pulling is extremely beneficial for a number of conditions, including skin problems, arthritis, headaches, asthma, hormonal imbalances, infections and so on. But most importantly it’s an excellent natural ingredient which will improve your oral health, heal your sensitive gums and whiten your teeth significantly.
How to perform oil pulling?
The procedure is super simple. All you need is a few teaspoons of coconut, sesame or olive oil. Swish the oil in your mouth for about 15-20 minutes, spit it out and rinse. For best results perform the pulling in the morning, before you have breakfast. If you have some more serious dental problems you can do it before every meal.
Just follow the steps:
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of the vegetable based oil into the mouth.
- Swish for 20 minutes. It’s important to do it for 20 minutes and not less because it’s been proven that 20 minutes are just enough to break through plaque and bacteria. The oil will get thicker and milky and it should be creamy-white when spit out.
- Spit the oil into your trash can and make sure you don’t swallow it because it’s ridden with toxins, bacteria and other harmful substances.
- Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Once you’re finished brush your teeth.
If you can’t stand the taste of the oil in your mouth you can add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil to improve it. You can use peppermint, cinnamon or whatever flavor you prefer.
Pregnant women should first consult their doctor before trying this.
How does oil pulling work?
You should know that your salivary glands store toxins and when you perform oil pulling the saliva production increases and the toxins in your saliva get trapped in the oil and get out of your system once you spit the oil out.
Coconut oil has antibacterial properties and a much milder taste compared to other oils which is why many oral health specialist recomend it for dental hygiene.
Regular use of oil pulling will make your teeth whiter and smoother and remove any trace of plaque.
Traditionally, oil pulling has been used in India for the treatment of a number of diseases thanks to its healing properties. It can help you to:
- Fix tooth decay
- Eliminate bad breath
- Cure bleeding gums
- Lower the risk of heart disease
- Decrease inflammation
- Whiten teeth
- Help with throat dryness
- Prevent cavities
- Heal cracked lips
- Boost your immune system
- Resolve acne breakouts
- Strengthen gums and jaw
The experts recommend using coconut oil for this procedure thank to its many health beneficial properties. In addition to improving your oral health it will also help you with:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Candida infections
- Digestive problems
- Dry skin
- Wrinkles and age spots
- Imbalanced blood sugar and low energy levels
- Balance your HDL and LDL cholesterol (increasing the first and lowering the second)
- Burn fat
Since coconut oil has high absorption you can take advantage of all of these benefits by oil pulling.
If you’re new to the practice we recommend you start doing it regularly and reap all the benefits!