“She had a very inconvenient heart. It always insisted on feeling things ever so deeply,” John Mark Green
This line perfectly describes an empath. In other words, it’s a person who has emotions with greater intensity. Plus, empaths are sympathetic, imaginative, and they feel deeply for the others and the world. But, at the same time, they can also be negatively affected by all of this.
In case you think you are an empath, the 31 signs below can tell you if you really are.
- Balance and comfort are your priorities, not ambition and success.
- Any sad story can wear you down.
- Your approach to establishing friendships is one-on-one.
- You depend on spending time in solitude to recharge. You often feel drained by spending time with others.
- Music and art provide profound meaning for you.
- You stay away from crowds as the mass energy is too overwhelming for you.
- You spend most of your emotional energy on helping others.
- You dislike living in a big city. Having a home high in the mountains or deep in the woods is ideal for you.
- Violent movies or TV shows can really upset you.
- Spending your energy on many trivial things can really bring you down. Instead, you prefer focusing on one important “passion project”.
- Friends often call you the “mom” of your group.
- You are traumatized when a loved one is going through a rough time.
- Your advice is greatly appreciated by your friends.
- You need time when you can exert your creativity. This may include painting, knitting, baking, writing, singing, or whatever makes your life more beautiful.
- You are a good listener.
- When you are over-stimulated you feel really stressed-out.
- You are often misunderstood.
- You often go out of your way to avoid stressful traffic.
- Spending time in nature restores your energy and connects you to the world and essentially to yourself.
- You are not a fan of “small talk.”
- You like dressing comfortably. Otherwise, you feel distracted all day long.
- Your emotions are generally expressed through creative activities.
- You are often seen as shy, cold, or standoffish by people who don’t know you well.
- You do your best to stay away from confrontation.
- Any disagreement with a friend will leave you drained for days.
- Fear and sadness often overwhelm you.
- Joy can also be quite overwhelming for you.
- Controlling your emotions can be a real struggle.
- You often wish you felt things less intensely.
- Everyone tells you to grow a thicker skin, and to stop holding in your emotions.
“Empaths did not come into this world to be victims, we came to be warriors. Be brave. Stay strong. We need all hands on deck.”
In the words of Anthon St. Maarten, being an empath is gives you an extraordinary strength because you’re gifted with compassion, sensitivity and peace that can make a world of difference.